Thursday, October 20, 2011

Week 5 Training

If I was actually a superhero I believe my many powers would include some sort of extended adrenaline rush. Practices end at 10 or 10:30 pm and I have a terrible time falling asleep after. If any of you are ever suffering insomnia or just up late and lonely/bored on a Tuesday night feel free to give me a call. I'd be happy to babble at you about all the awesome things we did at practice, till you either fell asleep or begged me to shut up.  I am also never sore until 2 days after practice. This morning I attempted to convince myself and Alan that this had something to do with my extended adrenaline rush superpower and he had a great time laughing at me. I still believe it is a distinct possibility....

This week I got a taste (on a much smaller level) of what the training would be like for one of those "Strongest Man Alive" competitions. And I liked it. Nope, I freaking LOVED it. So much fun and the most alive and present I have felt all week. Probably one of the most physically challenging things I've ever done, but wow I was disappointed the whistle blew before I got to do it a fourth time. 



The drill was skating with a line of 5 of your derby sisters behind you, each of us grabbing the hips of the person in front of you, maintaining a deep, squatted derby stance. The person at the front of the line was the only one who was skating. Everyone else was just maintaining their deep squat. We also had to push the line of 5 girls from behind. When you were in front or pushing from behind you really had to dig deep into your oppositions and find your connection to the ground as you attempted to pick up momentum and drag/push your team. My teammates tell me we were really whizzing when I was pulling. It was hard for me to have any sense of speed though. It's fascinating to me, with that much weight behind you it seemed like we were underwater, or that I was just moving in place.

If anything seems challenging to me this week I will reflect on this experience. Somedays with the two kiddos I feel so exhausted, overwhelmed, like I have no idea what the heck I am doing and am just barely staying afloat. Ten minute spans are action packed, often a completely wacko balancing act reminding me of the "boat, sack of grain, chicken and fox" mind puzzle.

My kids are unstoppable. I want to be more like them. They fall, they are screeching, crying and bruised. My attempts to pick them up and offer comfort are rejected with twisting, squirming insistence on getting back to what they were doing. The minute I relinquish my need to comfort them they are back on their feet, fearless and off and running. This runs through my thinking each time I falter attempting the stupid jump on the obstacle course that is this superhero's kryptonite. This momming/roller derby diva dual existence is a really terrific blend. I can learn a lot from them.

I am reminded this week that the feats we are capable of are astonishing. I think about what things were like a year ago for me. I was a few weeks away from having Oona, very very pregnant, 30 lbs heavier, extremely uncomfortable and waddling like an enormous penguin. A year later I am skating 25 laps in 5 minutes, sliding on my knees like a rockstar, running on my skates and pulling 5 girls behind me. And just today, I changed 4 solid filled diapers in about 10 minutes, the two kids alternating like some sort of defecation relay.

Until next week, dear readers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment