Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Week 4 Training (Part Two)

I have decided that for my next birthday I want to do all the drills we did last night over and over until I cannot skate any longer or they kick us out of the rink. And then I want to have several margaritas. That would pretty much be the perfect day.   I arrived at this while soaking in a hot epsom bath drinking cold beer and nursing my strained quad muscles after practice last night. Alas, I am an old woman, and no longer have the body of my twenties. And I have done far too many knee and baseball slides this evening. But I just can't stop, I am horribly, horribly, deeply addicted.
In order to pass the test quickly approaching on November 15th we have to be proficient in several skills. Not only do we need pass a written test and be able to skate 25 laps in 5 minutes, there are several other derby skills we need to prove. Last night was a full one, and admittedly, I am a borderline lunatic but the fun never stopped for me.
The first drill was set up to work on our ability to cut quickly across the track. (3 cuts on the straightaway, 2 on the curves) The ideal method (and an excellent prep for giving body checks to block and for recovering from getting hit) is to practice skating at a decent pace and then pick up your feet and sort of run back and forth, interspersed with some gliding/slalom type moves too. Sound nuts? I've never had so much fun. And it is counter-intuitive, but it gets much much easier the more speed you pick up.
The second drill we worked with a partner. We had to skate around the rink, taking turns leaning with our full side against them, attempting to skate them out of bounds. This is a way of blocking opponents in the pack, allowing your jammer to pass through and score a point by passing them. Total blast. The more you lean with all of you, contacting the floor and pushing from it as you skate the quicker and more easefully that partner goes out.
Next was a drill involving pretty much the only thing so far I don't like about derby. Skating next to your partner, attempting to lock/knock skates and set them off balance. This happens a lot when skating in a close pack so although I hate this drill like poison, it is extremely useful to practice in a safe environment where you are actually allowed to grab your partner to right yourselves.
The next drill was my all-time favorite. Skating with your partner, you set up behind them, both of you in deep, squatted derby stance, grab their hips and pull yourself closer, then give them a push and send them flying ahead of you. Then you need to skate like hell, pass them, and set up in front so they can do it to you. I was flinging that poor girl as hard as I could, loving the race to catch up and pass her.
The last one we did was similar, but practicing what is called a hip whip, and is very useful in bettering your position in the pack, catapulting yourself forward utilizing the momentum the front partner has going. You set up behind your partner, again in that deep squat, take their hips and then push them as hard as you can behind you, simultaneously pulling yourself foward and around one side of them. They sacrifice their momentum, but you go flying. Wooo hoooo!
I love that this sport is such a strange juxtaposition of all the activities I have practiced in my past lives. It makes sense to me on a very deep physical level. There is so much of my dancing in there. And karate. And unbelieveable amounts of Alexander Technique. And my lifelong love affair with skating. I know I say it each week I write to you all, but I am in heaven. I can't encourage all of you enough that if you have dreams of things you want to try just once, you MUST follow them.  Injured tailbone and now strained quad aside, I am a better version of myself since I started this. I love myself more, I enjoy and appreciate the rest of my life more fully.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with my hot water bottle.
Oh, and ps.....please do me a favor. If you read my blog can you please add yourselves to my "followers"? I just like to know who's coming along with me on this wacky adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment