Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cultivating Derby Ambidextrousity

I have a theory.

Usually when I proclaim this my husband looks at me with a bemused expression on his mug and takes another slow swig of his cocktail as if he's awaiting the hilarious punchline. But hear me out, dear readers.

Derby Ambidextrousity begins with Ambidexcrossity.

My most recent personal project is working to perform clean, efficient cross overs while skating in non-derby direction, or clockwise around the track. I believe this is the key to becoming a more ambidextrous  blocker.

Currently I am struggling with having a fairly decent, consistent body check to offer with my right side, and a limp, borderline laughable one with ol' leftie. I have experienced pride filled moments when very strong teammates yell "F@%* you Lebowski!" or say "Yeah, I think you have that side down" during hitting drills if I use my right side. But my left side is seriously lacking the same oomph. My goal is to have consistent body checks on both sides and be capable of positioning myself to perform them without any great ordeal.

Since it seems as if I had only very recently arrived in my body and then decided to put skates on seconds later when I skate opposite derby direction I believe this is something that needs addressing. You see, my right leg assures me that it can't support my weight around the corners as I attempt to pick up my left and cross over. My right knee says it is not within the realm of possibility to bend and align over my right ankle and foot. And ol' leftie is not much help either, grounded to the floor by some invisible and very high power magnet, adding to my body's belief that this feat is impossible.

So I have set out on this quest to prove them all wrong. Silly, self-important body parts, don't you know you really don't have any say, that it's the brain that gets to make the decisions??

Familiarity is a powerful thing. How accustomed we get to doing something one way. How easy it is to become one sided, both in our thought and movement. The limitation this presents in life but also to my skating is notable. I believe that this one-sidedness ultimately weakens our structure and its potential power, and we should work to eliminate it.

Ever read about or see the ambidextrous baseball pitcher? I believe he is the only around one able to pitch with both arms. Amazing. I want to be that guy. From what I understand, from a very young age his parents simply encouraged him to do everything with both hands equally.

Historically boxers who fight southpaw also have a tremendous advantage over orthodox fighters. Roy Jones Jr. was knocked out for the first time in his career by Antonio Tarver, who is a southpaw. Floyd Mayweather, known for his invincible defense has also lost twice to southpaws. I have seen a few boxers and also a few fellow karate students be able to switch back and forth and I tell you, it's extraordinary and makes for a fascinating fight.

My guess is that since I spend about 6 hours a week skating derby direction my use gets overly committed to that organization. My plan is that if I just spend a good amount of time skating opposite derby direction and crossing over the whole time I will eventually build up the organization and familiarity on that side as well.

I also think this will assist me in achieving a more reliable hit with my left side. My muscles or perhaps just my thinking has some slight discrepancy from being used in the counterclockwise skating organization the vast majority of the time. This must have something to do with the complete confusion I  feel when attempting to line up and body check someone on my left side.

All this very, very basic scientific process aside, the main issue is that I passionately despise feeling limited and even though I may grumble, I love a good challenge. If I am able to do something like consistently cross over in derby direction I see no excuse for allowing it to feel so foreign on the opposite side.

No comments:

Post a Comment