Sunday, January 29, 2012

Wednesday Jan 25 League Practice. All kinds of fun.

It just occurred to me that I hadn't posted anything about my last practice! I know you were all probably awaiting my rambling report with bated breath so huge apologies if I ruined anyone's week...  ; )

It was all kinds of fun.

I'm old and tired, the poor hubster is sick, and the wee ones with their ever-morphing super powers have really beat us down this weekend so my memory is a tad foggy in regards to what I had for breakfast today let alone what I did in the middle of last week. But a few drills stand out for me in the haze.

One super cool exercise was standing still, closing our eyes and allowing ourselves to lose our balance forwards, backwards and to the sides. The goal was to lean so far you fell off balance, then right yourself by getting to your derby stance. Totally fun. I felt like I was back in the karate dojo, doing my katas with my eyes closed. A kata is sequence of moves that mimics one side of a fight.  After much practice it's like a gorgeous dance, an amazing mix of fluid, controlled movements punctuated by sharp, clean strikes, kicks or jumps. At one point I opened my eyes and was totally surprised because I had rolled about 15 feet back, completely away from the group that was spread around the length of the track. I had no idea I was rolling I was so deeply into the exercise.

Another invigorating exercise we did was working with a partner, and counting for each other as we did 5 laps, alternating with them till  you both had skated 15 around the outside of the entire rink. Crazy, crazy bonkers fun. The rink is pretty big, so we were getting an awesome endurance work out. I am COO-COO for endurance drills. Seriously, I could just do them till I dropped, or they closed the rink, whatever came first. So much fun.  On my 15th lap I skated into the group of "counters," realized I hadn't considered that I needed to stop so I went to a knee and then to my side and slid baseball style for about 8 feet. Super fun.

We also skated our 25 in 5 on the actual derby track and my partner tells me I was at 23 laps at 4 minutes. Wooo hooo! I have no idea what my finish time was but man that was fun, especially right after skating 15 fast laps around the outside of the track. Talk about a derby high.

Like I said, I'm wiped this evening, the derby high has dissipated and my memory is foggy at best. So until next practice, that's all I have to report. Can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment